BOWLING BALL LOFT RULES
- These rules outline a competition for flying bowling ball(s) as payload in rockets.
- Tripoli Safety code will be enforced.
- All entrants must be members in good standing of Tripoli or NAR.
- 4 to 1 minimum thrust to weight. Unless higher is stated elsewhere.
- Solid propellant motors only, unless otherwise stated.
- Parachute must be sized so no part descends faster than 21 f/s.
- A standard bowling ball is to be used, approx. 8 1/2" dia.
- Altitude is by barometric or visual tracking only. Accelerometers may be used for ejection
- The ball may not be cut up or modified other than drilled for retention.
- Rockets must pass RSO and conform to all site rules.
- This is intended to be a fun event, anyone may be declared permanently disqualified by AHPRA for violating this.
- Ball must be drilled to retain it. At through hole with a bolt or a tapered hole may be drilled, larger on inside, and filled with epoxy. Ball must be attached with some kind of safety line to the parachute even if it is retained in airframe.
- Rockets will be launched from towers or rails. Launching with rods is prohibited. If you have an unique type of launch system contact AHPRA well before the event.
- Flown for max time aloft of the ball.
- Timed from rocket liftoff to touchdown of the ball or loss of sight by the timer.
- Timer may pursue and/or use binoculars.
- Only one timer required.
- Time to the nearest second.
- No size or number restrictions on parachute(s).
- Ball may be recovered separately from or remain in the airframe. Airframe may land before ball but time is for the ball.
- Must beat existing record by 2%
- Flown for maximum altitude.
- Tracking by barometric altimeter or visual means.
- Must beat existing record by 2%.
- Any motor, any size, any number. Certified, uncertified, or experimental. Anything.
- Motor class (K, L, etc.) Some classes have an approved motor list for safety reasons.
- Specific motor (K550, L3000, etc.). Motor to be selected by the sponsor of the event.
- 16 pound ball. +- 4 oz.
- 8 pound ball. +- 4 oz.